“The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire, not the things we fear.”- Brian Tracy
How to stay focused is one of the most important skills in life to achieve your goals and dreams.
The precise truth is that our focus drives everything in our lives. It almost solely determines if we’ll experience a high quality of life and accomplish things that are meaningful to us.
But then the key question comes How to stay focused in this most overwhelming information age. How to stay focused, when our list of goals and dreams is endless to achieve, but more and more chaos is being added to our lives on more than regular basis.
Brendon Burchard, the best-selling author of The Charge: Activating the 10 Human Drives That Make You Feel Alive has explained three different ways, which may seem counter-intuitive, but could be really helpful to address your question i.e. “How to Stay Focused?”
So let’s get straight into these three ways.
1. Limit the number of decisions you make
You might think otherwise, but taking a decision is not an entirely effortless activity.
It takes your will power and energy to decide the things. Therefore the key to staying focused on your key priorities is to minimize the number of decisions, you are required to make.
For maximum small and routine things, don’t use your brain, will power and focus. These are too petty things for being used.
For people who make significant decisions every day, the removal of even one decision ie. choosing what clothes to wear in the morning—leaves them with more mental space and better productivity throughout the day. I read another intriguing blog on “8 Reasons Successful People Are Choosing to Wear the Same Thing Every Day”. you will find this interesting too.
So count your all decisions, which take though minor amount of time, but are of not any significance like:
- what food to eat today (you can use your decision power once or twice in a week, when you are out for fun, but not daily:))
- which clothes to wear every?
- Which route to take for going to your office?
- any other petty decisions of your life, which takes time, but are least significant.
Deliberately choose to have the standard set of decisions for this kind of activities. Avoid decision fatigue. Because every decision small or big takes your mental stamina, so better to use it for key activities.
Save your willpower and focus for the key decisions of your life, which take you to the next level.
2. Define your Mission
Your mission will determine, what should you do with your precious time. So have a clear mission in your life, where you want to go and what you want to achieve.
Your mission could be to become a top notch professional in your chosen field or become a successful entrepreneur or reaching the highest echelons of the management. Or it could be becoming a best-selling author, anything, which drives you and pulls you towards itself is your mission.
Once you do that, your all actions get a direction. Taking decision then becomes a simple two-way process either “Yes” or “No”
- If it is towards that mission, then do it.
- If not, then simply skip it or postpone it, until you do your key things.
3. Say NO to everything immediately
From now onwards, say No to everything (except few) as a first response.
Don’t immediately commit to projects anymore. Check them against your mission and passions.
Ask, “Should I focus on this right now in my life? Yes or no?
Learn to say no to anything that doesn’t fire your heart with full commitment and enthusiasm.
If you want to get some more strategies to implement in your days to craft your dream life, then, unless you already have it, you would love my latest book.
You can “Look Inside” the book by clicking below
Master Your Day- Design Your Life: Develop Growth Mindset, Build Routines to Level-Up your Day, Deal Smartly with Outside World and Craft Your Dream Life
In this Book:
- You would learn what types of mindset will simply design your days for extreme positivity and productivity.
- Learn the best rituals to imbibe in your mind and master your day.
- Schedule effective daily reminders for achieving a calm and focused day.
- You will learn the best strategies to deal smartly with outside environment including “CTT Technique”
- Learn how to effectively handle the adverse work pressures and how to keep going in the face of failures.
- Understand the 3 minutes/3 Hours/3 Days Rule for getting surrounded with achievers.
- If you are an introvert, no worries, learn how to be “Selectively Social”
- Learn the least heard 18:40:60 Rule for prompting you to become more authentic.
- Learn the PDF Principle for enhancing your productivity
Also, You may want to see my other books at My Books Page
This article is inspired by this wonderful video from highly enthusiastic Brendon Burchard (http://brendon.com/):
Hope You Liked the Article?
Please share with your friends.